Another asthma update

Sorry for the boring title, I couldnt think of anything imaginative.

So this morning I had another clinic appointment. I was up bright and early and was at the doctors at 7.55 for my 8.10 appointment.

Basically the nurse is still not impressed with my asthma control and cant understand why my symbicort isnt improving my peak flow significantly, im kind of wondering that too to be honest. My best peak flow today was 340 which is 20 up on last week’s best. So I’m getting there.

We discussed taking a rescue course of pred at 40mg but today I really dont feel like I will need it, because although ny peak flow is low, we have agreed that it is stable enough. I have also phoned the holiday company that we are going skiing with and they have said that Tue pharmacy is right next door and the insurance will cover me if I have to call the doctor out so I am feeling quite confident about that.

We have decided that my new plan should be carry on as normal and if u get a cold go from 2 puffs twice a day to 3 or 4 puffs twice a day depending on how bad I feel and I am to continue that for 7 days after my cold has gone. And as for chest infections I am to get a rescue course of steroids and antibotics.

We also discussed the possibility that the four chest infections could have done some lasting damage to my lungs and she thinks it is unlikely that I will have proper damage, she thinks it is jist taking me a while to recover fully. She also said that it would probably be a good idea to consider stopping swimming for a while as my peak flow is not recovering sufficiently between each session, it’s annoying being allergic to chlorine.

My asthma nurse has also given me spare symbicort and ventolin:


As you can see the ventolin hfa (puffer) has got a different cap than normal ventolin hfa’s which can be seen on the right in the picture below:


Thats because I decided to do a shabby job at making my inhaler my own and switched the caps if my serevent with my ventolin. I think buying some stickers is in order. Living with asthma can be hard but stickers can help brighten up inhalers πŸ™‚

So on the whole I think I had a quite productive asthma clinic, I’m going back in three months and if the peak flow hasn’t improved we are going to discus increasing the dosage even when I dont have a cold. Although I am supposed to go straight back if I feel my peak flow slipping since I dont thinking would take much to leave the lungs in a permanent hissy fit.


4 thoughts on “Another asthma update

  1. So sorry your having such a hard time with your asthma!! Just always remember that it will get better! Its just a matter or finding what works for you πŸ™‚ Good Luck!

    1. Yeah ive decided to up my dose today since I just couldnt stop coughing, on 3 puffs twice daily for the next seven days. I’m just worried that because yesterday I was feeling alright I declined a rescue course of pred and now I’m wishing in hadn’t. There is an English speaking doctor over there so if anything does happen I can see him πŸ™‚

      1. I learned a long time ago to never turn down emergency pred even if I dont use it I feel better having it around πŸ™‚ I hope you have an amazing trip! I am super jealous I will probably never get to see that part of the world! Take lots of pictures!!

      2. Yeah I’m kicking myself for turning it down. And when I get back I will post a load of pictures and any videos that I take. Take care πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s