Every time I see my asthma nurse it feels like my asthma plan is getting more and more confusing. Recently my lungs have been good! I have only been in the pool environment once in the past couple of months which is probably a large contributory in the fact that I have only had one (pretty scary) attack since I started Flutiform in March. My asthma nurse and I discussed how much my asthma is affecting me, and compared to before I am doing really well, my Ventolin usage is right down, I have hardly any nighttime symptoms and my peak flow is relatively stable. So we decided that we can reduce my Flutiform dosage from 125/5 2 puffs twice a day, to 50/5 two puffs twice a day… Now, we do recognise that dropping my total daily dosage of Fluticasone (the steroid component of Flutiform) from 500mcg (equivalent to 1000mcg Beclomethasone) of to 200mcg (equivalent to 400mcg of Beclomethasone) is quite a drop and we have no idea how my lungs are going to react since the last time we attempted to reduce an inhaler I ended up having an attack. But right now I feel confident that my lungs are up to this reduction, and so I am going to give it a go.
I asked the nurse what I was supposed to do if I started yellow zoning, or having issues so we decided that whilst my main inhaler will be the 50/5 I will also have the 125/5 on my prescription and I will start that inhaler for a few weeks when I start having issues. So this means that I will have 2 different doses of Flutiform to work with which makes my asthma plan a lot more flexible but it also makes it somewhat more confusing. However we have decided that if I feel like I need the 125/5 instead of the 50/5 then I can ring in and she will move me onto the 125/5 fully.
We also discussed why we thought Symbicort was making me cough, and the nurse agreed with my GP that the dry powder was causing paradoxical bronchospasms and that I shouldn’t try another dry powder inhaler… which is a shame because I did prefer the dry powder inhalers delivery system but if it makes me sick, I’m going to give it a wide berth.
I also explained that I am possibly going to university in September and that I am slightly concerned about prescription costs and having everything sorted for university. Apparently I can get an exemption form so I wouldn’t have to pay for prescriptions until the end of university, which means I don’t have to worry about prescription costs until then. And my asthma nurse is also organising me to go in for my flu jab at the start of September so I will be covered. And she also said to start looking for a GP surgery in the city where I will be staying as soon as I know that I will be going to university. So now I’m feeling relatively relaxed about the whole thing because I know what is going to happen.
There aren’t many words to describe how happy I am about this reduction in steroid dose, this is the first time I have actually had a reduction in dosage… We attempted to reduce Symbicort before but that just went wrong straight away but I am feeling so much better than I did when we tried to reduce the Symbicort so I’m feeling pretty confident that this will work… and if it doesn’t, we have a plan for that too.