Ah good ol’ Clenil Modulite… Like I said earlier, I’m going to be banging out a few Medications 101 since I am a bit behind with them. Clenil was the first preventer inhaler I took back in July 2012 before I moved onto combination inhalers. In the UK Clenil is a very common first preventer inhaler. Clonal modulite contains Beclometasone Dipropionate, a corticosteroid, which is used to reduce inflammation in the lungs and is used to prevent and reduce asthma symptoms. However, Clenil is a slow acting medication and so should not be used in attacks or to reduce acute symptoms.
Clenil Modulate comes in 4 separate doses: 50, 100, 200 and 250mcg of Beclometasone Dipropionate per accusation. The usual starting dose for Clenil is 400mcg twice a day [in adults], but can be increased up to 1,600-2,000mcg if needed. Your dose will be decided by your doctor.
I started off taking the typical dose of 400mcg a day via 2 puffs of Clenil Modulite 100 twice a day. Unfortunately, this alone did not control my asthma sufficiently to be used alone and that is why I moved onto a combination inhaler.
Clenil modulite is not indicated for use in an acute attack, or for people who are allergic to beclometasone dipropionate.
Care should be taken when taking Clenil modulite if any of the following applies to you [and tell your doctor if any of these do apply to you]:
- if you are, or have ever been treated for Tuberculosis
- if your Asthma is getting worse despite Clenil Modulite [needing your reliever inhaler more often, still experiencing asthma symptoms etc]
- Allergic reactions – rashes, hives, itching, swelling of face, lips, eyes, throat or tongue
- Oral thrush – more likely if you take more than 400mcg a day
- Hoarse or sore throat
- Changes in normal production of cortisol in body [cortisol suppression] – unusual, and only usually occurs after high doses of clenil for long periods of time
- Stunted growth – again this is unusual and is associated with high doses of clenil for prolonged periods of time
- Decrease in bone density, glaucoma, cataracts – again is associated with high doses of clenil for prolonged periods of time
- Sleeping problems, depression or feeling worried, restless, nervousness, irritability or excitability
I was lucky and experienced no side effects from Clenil, although there are precautions you can take to reduce the symptoms of thrush and hoarseness such as taking Clenil through a spacer, and brushing your teeth/rinsing your mouth after taking Clenil.
Pros and Cons
+ Side effects are usually quite mild
+ Can be taken via spacer
+ Some flexibility in dose
+ There are plenty other preventer inhalers to try if this isn’t right for you
– Only available in aerosol form [in this brand]
– Not available in the US or Canada